This awesome goban came to Baduk Club from Kanagawa Prefecture.
The board is 15cm thick, and has taken on an amazing candy color with age. It comes with a protective paulownia lid.
It looks like a textbook species of Kaya, with these indicators:
- The Cut: it is a Center Cut (kiura) to show off the heart of the tree. This is one of the highest-regarded cuts for fine boards when the tree is not large enough for a cross-cut.
- The Grain: the lines are wavy, unlike shin-kaya and most matsu. They are also quite thin because Kaya is a slow-growing tree so you should see hundreds of rings.
- The Weight: at 14.7 kilograms it is very dense. Kaya retains its resin as it cures.
- The Size (of the trunk): You can see that the rings radiate outward instead of forming semi-circles. This was an absolutely tremendous tree. While kaya isn't rare, it does take 500-1000 years to grow large enough to be used for a go board.
- The Color: a warm candy color, the heartwood is a uniform color.
- The Scent: a sweet smell like patchouli, it is like vanilla and cloves.
A center cut like this leaves beautiful end-grain where both players will sit, and straight lines along each side. The top and bottom have cross-grains in unique patterns like a fingerprint. based on the heartwood of the tree.
The corners and edges are pretty good. The protective paulownia lid has done its job. There are a couple small scratches, please see the photos for details. Those may be far less noticeable after being rewaxed. Visit my Care Instructions to learn more.
Purchased new, such an item would cost about $3000-$5000 today.
If you would like to add go bowls or stones, it would be no trouble to bundle this item with other products from our warehouse in Japan.
FedEx International Priority shipping from Japan (to nearly anywhere) is already included in the purchase price. This service reduces the actual transit time to only 5 business days, and also allows more room for padding in order to avoid shipping damage. Please allow a week for Customs preparations, then a FedEx tracking number will be provided that you can use to sign up for notifications.
Please understand that this is a Vintage item.