This awesome goban was acquired in Hokkaido from a pawn shop.
The board is 14.5cm thick, and stands 27cm tall with legs.
It looks like a textbook species of Agathis, with these indicators:
- The Cut: it is a Center Cut (kiomote) to show off the heart of the tree. This is one of the highest-regarded cuts for fine boards.
- The Grain: the lines are wavy, unlike shin-kaya and most matsu. They are also quite thin, which means it is heavy.
- The Weight: at 14 kilograms it is very dense, again a consequence of a slow-growing tree.
- The Size (of the trunk): You can see that the rings radiate outward instead of forming semi-circles. The tree size was absolutely tremendous.
- The Color: A warm yellow, the heartwood is a uniform color, and in the lower corners there is a shift toward a lighter color where the heartwood ends. If it weren't for this color shift I would guess that the board is Kaya.
The corners and edges are quite clean. The protective paulownia lid has done its job. There are a couple small scratches, please see the photos for details. Those may be far less noticeable after being rewaxed.
The underside and legs show signs of white wax residue, which is a good indicator of being well-cared-for. It should brush off easily with a dry cloth. Visit my Care Instructions to learn more.
The grid-lines are slightly raised, a result of being hand-lacquered by tachimori (check out this tachimori youtube video).
FedEx International Priority shipping from Japan (to everywhere) is already included in the purchase price for free, a service that reduces the actual transit time to only 5 business days. Please allow 1-2 weeks for packing and clearing Customs, then we will email you a FedEx tracking number that you can use to sign up for notifications or to manage your delivery.
Please understand that this is a Vintage product, not a new item.