This amazing goban came to Baduk Club from a go board dealer in Yokohama City.
The board is 20.5cm thick, and has the usual candy color that Kaya wood takes on with age, highlighting the dark red resin in the grain. It comes with a protective paulownia lid. It stands 29.5cm tall with legs on.
It looks like a textbook species of Kaya, with these indicators:
- The Cut: it is Center Cut (kiomote style) to show off the heart of the tree.
- The Grain: the lines are wavy, unlike shin-kaya and most matsu. They are also quite thin because Kaya is a slow-growing tree so there are hundreds of rings.
- The Weight: Kaya is dense because it retains its resin as it cures for 10 years.
- The Size (of the trunk): You can see that the rings radiate outward instead of forming neat semi-circles. This was an absolutely tremendous tree. While kaya isn't rare, it does take 500-1000 years to grow large enough to be used for a go board.
- The Color: a warm candy color, the heartwood is a uniform tone.
- The Scent: It should have a sweet smell like vanilla and cloves.
A plain-sawn board like this produces beautiful end-grain where both players will sit, and straight lines along each side. The top and bottom have cross-grains in unique patterns like a fingerprint. based on the heartwood of the tree.
The legs are a darker orange color and are probably Katsura. Their finish is not great, I would recommend scrubbing them and reapplying a paste wax. In fact, I would recommend that the board be oiled and re-waxed, especially if your climate is less humid than Japan. Visit my Care Instructions to learn more.
The corners and edges are all quite good. The protective paulownia lid has done its job. There are a couple imperfections that can't be helped with a used board, please see the photos for details. Boxed up with the legs and the lid, this set weighs 23kg.
Please understand that this is a Vintage item. Purchased new, such an item would cost about $5000-$7000 today.
If you would like to add go bowls or stones, please use our Chat Widget or email us discuss pricing. It would be no trouble to bundle this item with other products from our warehouse in Japan.
FedEx International Priority shipping from Japan (to nearly anywhere) is already included. This service reduces the actual transit time to only 5 business days, and also allows more room for padding in order to avoid shipping damage. Please allow a week for Customs preparations, then a FedEx tracking number will be provided that you can use to sign up for notifications.