This gorgeous goban came to Baduk Club from a go and shogi shop in Tokyo, Japan.
The board is 13.7cm thick, and has a lovely yellow tone. It comes with a cloth cover and paulownia lid. It stands 26cm tall with legs on.
It looks like a textbook species of Kaya, with these indicators:
- The Cut: it is a Center Cut (kiomote) to show off the heart of the tree.
- The Grain: the lines are wavy, unlike shin-kaya and most matsu. There are hundreds of rings here in the heartwood alone. This is unmistakably Honkei.
- The Weight: it is incredibly dense. Kaya retains its resin as it cures.
- The Size (of the trunk): You can see that the rings radiate outward instead of forming neat semi-circles. While kaya isn't rare, it does take 500-1000 years to grow large enough to be used for a go board.
- The Color: a warm yellow, the heartwood is a uniform tone.
- The Scent: The board gives off a sweet smell, like vanilla and cloves.
A center cut like this leaves beautiful end-grain where both players will sit, and straight lines along each side. This is known to woodworkers as a Plain-sawn board. The top and bottom have cross-grains in unique patterns like a fingerprint. based on the heartwood of the tree.
The corners and edges are all quite good. There are some small knots.
The legs are very dark, so they are either old kaya with tung oil treatment or could be a different wood like Chestnut.
This is a Vintage item. Purchased new, such an item would cost about $3000-$5000 today.
If you would like to add go bowls or stones, it would be no trouble to bundle this item with other products from our warehouse in Japan.
Already included in the price is the cost of FedEx International Priority shipping from Japan (to nearly anywhere). This service reduces the actual transit time to only 5 business days, and also allows more room for padding in order to avoid shipping damage. Please allow a week for Customs preparations, then a FedEx tracking number will be provided that you can use to sign up for notifications.
Downgrading to ground shipping with Japan Post Surface is possible if you wish to reduce the cost by about $120, but this will be at your own risk as damage can occur during this 3-month shipping method. Please use the chat widget to discuss this with us.