This awesome Kaya goban is 14cm thick, and stands 27cm tall with legs. It was refurbished in our Colorado workshop and smells amazing.
Refurbishing was a month-long process, and photos are available on Instagram. First, the sides and bottom were sanded to remove the old patina. Next, a coat of Special Linseed oil was applied, and the board was given 2 weeks to cure. After than, a layer of Monkey Wax was applied, and the board was given another 2 weeks to cure. Finally, it was buffed clean and fitted with matching legs.
It is a textbook species of Kaya, with these indicators:
- The Cut: it is a Plain-sawn board (Kiomote) to show off the heart of the tree.
- The Grain: the lines are wavy, unlike shin-kaya and most matsu. They are also quite thin and indicative of slow annual growth.
- The Weight: it is very dense, over 14kg with legs on.
- The Size: You can see that the rings radiate outward instead of forming perfect semi-circles.
- The Color: A warm orange, the heartwood is a uniform color. There is a lot of heathering, as this board was very near the heart of the tree.
- The Smell: It has an unmistakable sweet scent, like vanilla and cloves. It's been an absolute pleasure to fill the workshop with this aroma.
The playing surface was not refurbished, it has its original raised lacquer grid - this hand-lacquered technique is called tachimori (youtube link).
Some rays in the endgrain look like cracks. Rays are pathways used by the tree to transfer water internally. It's possible that cracks can form along these lines, but Kaya boards are cured extensively so that should not be an issue.
The legs have their original finish. They have proud shoulders that come to modest points. The tenons of the legs fit snugly into the board, and have been marked to match the mortises where they fit - please place them gently with a nylon or rubber hammer until they sit firmly. For the safety of the board they will be shipped separately.
Purchased new, such an item would cost about $3000-$5000 today (plus shipping).
Most of the shipping cost is included in the purchase price, with the remainder being added at checkout based on domestic / international rates from Colorado. Please allow 3 business days for handling, you will receive an email with tracking details. Box 1: 19x19x10in 32.8lb / Box 2: 12x8x5in 2.6lb