For use on unfinished wood, this 2-in-1 treatment both penetrates and protects your equipment, giving it a soft buttery feel and a polished look. It is very soft, making it easy to apply.
Mineral oil is a non-drying oil. It penetrates the wood and adds a rich luster, and beeswax seals it in and provides a protective layer to prevent dust, debris, and mold from reaching the wood itself. This is a food-safe finish that you can use on any wooden items such as cutting boards and utensils.
If you want a paste wax with a drying oil, check out our Monkey Wax instead.
Monkey Butter is made by Solomon from just two US products:
- 20% Local Rocky Mountain Beeswax (Defiance Bee & Honey, Colorado).
- 80% Food-Grade White Mineral Oil (UltraPro, Missouri).
Choose from the 5oz (150ml) or 16oz (500ml) jars by using the dropdown menu.
Spread a thick layer of Monkey Butter on raw (untreated) wood, using a cloth or a plastic abrasive. Allow 30min to 1hr, to allow the the butter to soak into the wood, then wipe away the excess with a clean cloth (colder conditions take more time). Allow 1 to 2 days for the wood to finish absorbing the mineral oil, then wipe again and buff with a clean cloth.
See our Care Instructions for more about treating wood products.
- Apply this product no more than once a week to avoid rapid absorption which can expand the wood.
- This product does not Cure, like Linseed Oil does. It may need more regular applications over the life of the board. Once a year is fine. If the wood is fully saturated with mineral oil, some oil may wick onto objects placed on the board.
- A cloth or plastic abrasive will be better as an applicator than steel wool if you want to avoid disturbing the grid of a go board.
- This product is food-safe but it is not food. Mineral Oil is a laxative in large quantities, so eating it is not recommended.