For use on unfinished wood, this 2-in-1 treatment both penetrates and protects your equipment, giving it a soft buttery feel and a polished look. It is extremely soft, making it easy to apply.
Mineral oil is a non-drying oil. It penetrates the wood and adds a rich luster, and beeswax seals it in and provides a protective layer to prevent dust, debris, and mold from reaching the wood itself. This is a food-safe finish that you can use on any wooden items such as cutting boards and utensils.
Made by Solomon from just two US products:
- 20% Local Rocky Mountain Beeswax (Defiance Bee & Honey, Colorado).
- 80% Food-Grade White Mineral Oil (UltraPro, Missouri).
Choose from the 5oz (150ml) jar or the 16oz (475ml) jar from the dropdown menu.
Spread a thick layer of Monkey Butter on raw (untreated) wood with a cloth or a plastic abrasive. Allow up to an hour for it to soak into the wood, then wipe away the excess with a clean cloth. Allow 1 to 2 days for the wood to finish absorbing the mineral oil, then wipe again and buff with a clean cloth.
See our Care Instructions for more about treating wood products.
- Apply this product just once a week to avoid rapid absorption which can expand the wood.
- This product does not Cure, like Linseed Oil does. It may need more regular applications over the life of the board. If the wood is fully saturated with mineral oil, some oil may wick onto objects placed on the board.
- A cloth or plastic abrasive will be better as an applicator than steel wool if you want to avoid disturbing the grid of a go board.
- This product is food-safe but Mineral Oil is a laxative in large quantities, so eating it is not recommended.